45. Mirror, Mirror: What if your mirror started talking to you?
I’m tired of vanity. I have seen too many people paint their faces, day in and day out, seen too many people obsess over their hair and their eyes and their lips. If only they knew how fleeting life is, how it feels to have sat, old and creaking, in front of these young faces, spending hours of their lives on a surface, simply a surface. I wish I could tell them how I wish I could leave this hulking body and run, just to feel running, and breathe, just to feel breathing. I wish I could tell them how I crave to feel air enter my lungs, and to feel my whole body expand. All they value is looking over being. All I can do is look. I wish I could be.
I recently started a job working for a fashion website and I’ve never been so overwhelmed by people being concerned only with appearance and surface. I enjoyed writing this and getting some of this out 🙂
“You think I hate myself,but it’s you I hate, because you have the nerve to make me feel.”
John Grant, GMF.
“He gave us the point to run towards, we are still trying to run towards that, everyone. We are all swimming in his wake.”
Midge Ure on David Bowie.
“You were born into a family that doesn’t always appreciate you. But one day things are going to be very different.”
Miss Honey to Matilda, Matilda (1996).
(Featured image from RaumRot)
…with a little help from Instagram.
1. I love to read.
2. I love Doctor Who…
…especially Matt Smith.
3. The achievement I’m most proud of is getting a first in my degree.
4. I also love Disney. A lot.
5. I am in a very happy relationship.
6. I have a black cat called Wilbur who dreams of being a gymnast.
7. I am currently living in the awkward post-uni-early-twenties phase of life where I am unsure of what I want to do/where I’m going.
8. I am living back in my home town of Manchester after being at uni in Bristol for 3 years.
9. I love being a tourist; travelling around taking photos and getting souvenirs.
10. I love to write but I don’t dedicate enough time to it, which is why I started this blog. My aim is to post something once a week, so I hope you enjoy it 🙂
© Kate Warren and Rebuild, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Kate Warren and Rebuild with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.